Carton Family

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Team Semper Fi. arrives

Its been a while since I posted so lets get you caught up. I have been commuting on the the bike the past couple of weeks and I can tell you I dont think I have ridden in as much wind as I have the past two weeks. I have keep the clip on aero bars to help in the wind. And I am pleased in the rides I have done. The best was in a head wind of 24 miles an hour. It was a great ride and the legs felt good. Last Saturday I got the chance to ride a very unique bike. It is called a row bike. pretty much just think of a rowing machine on two wheels and you have a row bike. You dont pedal at all it is all done in a rowing action. A lot of fun I would like to get one some day just for a change of pace and not to mention one of the oddest looking bikes I have seen in a long time.

The family is doing good. Sheila had a great week at school and passed her final I am so proud of her. Gerolyn, Kaylee and Kinzie are all registered for school and it seems like the price keeps going up each year. The grand baby is growing very fast. She has grown 2 inches and put on about a pound of weight. I did her PKU tonight and I think it was the hardest one I have done emotionally. But it needs to be done for her health. Riley lost his job today and was very down. I talked to him for a bit and told him some of the feeling I have had when I lost my job. And that their is something better for him out their. He will be okay. I am so glad they are living with us it will make it easier for them to get back on their feet. Just sucks with a new baby to loose a job. But they will be okay and we will help any way we can. And I get to play with Addison any time she is awake.

The team flew in from North Carolina today. We have a ride planned for tomorrow morning, we are going to go climb Emigration Canyon so they can get some climbing in before the big ride Saturday. The ride is called the ultimate challenge it is 100 miles long and has 1300 feet of climbing. Starts in Park city, goes around Jordanelle thru midway over to Provo canyon up over Alpine loop over Suncrest then up little cottonwood to Snowbird. We have 5 riders we will be riding support for. Sheila and Marcus will drive one van and an observer from the base will ride with me during the ride. Our job is to make sure they have water, food or what ever gear they need to get to the finish line. I have not told them bu I have set up two pro riders to ride with them. Burke Swindelhurst and Darren Lill I hope it works out for all of them.

I guess I should tell you about the team. The team is made up of Marines that have been wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan it is team Semper fi out of camp Lagune they are also know as the wounded warriors. This is part of their rehab program and it is headed up by Brian. I met Brian about 5 years ago we were on the same team called Team cyclo-core. Brian invited us out to North Carolina to do a ride for MS. We have been good friends ever since. I will post pictures after the ride this weekend.

tc