The weather has been great this week so I took the advantage and have been commuting on my bike. Mornings are a bit cool in the low 40's but not bad with the right gear on. This may be the last week of decent weather as we have some big storms that are to hit this weekend. I must admit I do love the commute this time of the year I will try to take some pictures and post them but for right now I will try to describe the ride. It is dark in the morning so I have the headlight and tail lights going. When I get on the trail is where I love it the most. The mist rolls off of the Jordan River and covers the trail as you ride through a tunnel of Trees. The leaves are falling on the trail and they are a incredible yellow and orange this year. Not to mention the trees are just beautiful in their fall foliage. It is so peaceful and quite it is just a great time to think. The sun rises have just been incredible this past week. Yes I start out in the dark and by the time I get to work it is light. Coming home is just the opposite I start in the light and get to watch a awesome sunset and then of course I get to finish in the dark. This will all change this Sunday when we day light savings time ends. and then it is reverse as far as when it is light and dark on my rides.
The best rides are coming and that will be in a couple of weeks let me explain. The sun will have set by the time I leave work so my ride will be in the dark. Just after 4500 south on the trail I will go into a section that is covered in trees on both sides of the trail. The mist will be coming in off the river. The leaves will be on the ground, so you have to watch to make sure you stay on the trail as this section winds through the valley. I usually get lost in some Christmas music as it give you time to think and just unwind. I will reflect on the season that we are celebrating and what it really means to me. On some nights I will stop on the trail around 2300 south and just stare into the heavens it is so peacefull. I will take a minute and talk to my Father in Heaven about what is going on. The bite of the cold will get me on my way after a few minutes. I have not found a ride that just heals the soul like this one does for me. I was only able to do this ride once last year due to the illness I was fighting so you can tell I am really looking forward to these rides this year. It is also a bit of a sad time as I know the days of riding outside are fast coming to a end this year. But for now I will just enjoy my commute.
tc